In a high-volume production environment, stealing a moment to oneself during a busy workday is imperative. A little diversion is good medicine to fight exhaustion and burnout.
Here at Propulsion, borrowing time here and there offers an employee time to think, time to breathe, re-charge his/her mind, and who knows, he/she may stumble upon the inspiration for a creative idea that will translate into the next great TV or radio spot.
How can you spend that break time?
- Talk about anything thing other than work. Talk about local sports teams, what you had for breakfast, the latest celebrity idiocies, or anything you want.
- Go get some fresh air. Maybe not enough to get tan lines, but some fresh air can do you good.
- Find something funny. Go on YouTube and find a funny video, then share it with EVERYONE in the office.
- Close your eyes and take 10 deep breaths.
- Stretch it out. Even if you have no elasticity left in your body, it helps to just sit back and get some kinks out.
- Grab a healthy snack. Everyone needs a small boost of energy, but opt for a granola bar or fruit. It’s healthier and you won’t have a sugar crash later.
- Play your Nintendo Gameboy, PSP or an online game. Enjoy the brief pleasure from this and let yourself smile again.
- Play time. Keep a super bouncy ball, bubbles or a pack of cards in a special drawer. When things get rough revert to childhood and play a little. You’d be surprised at how good this will make you feel.
- Jam out to some great music. Music is a great mood changer and just a few minutes with a favorite song can lift your mood and put a smile on your face.
- Get your Facebook/Twitter fix. Tweet, status, post, comment, like, or poke as needed.
Or you could “Go Costanza” like in this clip.